Cloud computing has become the backbone of digital transformation. Cloud enables organizations to scale operations, improve efficiency and drive innovation. And now that we are halfway through 2023, the technology just keeps evolving, bringing forth 5 key trends that will continue to shape the digital landscape.
Trend 4 discusses Edge Computing, a technology that brings computing and data processing closer to the source and outside the cloud. Edge computing saves bandwidth and enables faster processing by moving application logic closer to the data source. However, distributing solutions across the edge and cloud increases complexity, necessitating rigorous testing and extensive automation.
With increased attack surface and additional data streams to manage, businesses must plan for device security and organizational demands. Containers play a role in managing and deploying workloads on the edge, making familiar tools valuable for IT staff. As AI at the edge gains importance, leveraging expertise in complex production processes becomes crucial for successful implementation.
Trend 4: Edge Computing
“Expanding Business on the Edge.”
Edge computing, where computing and data processing happens closer to the source and outside the cloud, will continue to augment the cloud landscape in 2023.
Even in this day of 5G and ubiquitous connectivity, it still pays to not send data to the cloud if it is not necessary. This is traditionally what edge computing has been about: saving bandwidth, and faster processing by moving the application logic closer to the source. However, what a lot of companies do not realize, is that distributing a solution across the edge and the cloud massively increases complexity in a number of ways:
- Distributed software is hard: When edge devices “just” collected data, stored it and transferred it, life was simple. Today, there is much more intelligence at the edge, suddenly turning a simple IT setup into a distributed software system in which complexity rises quickly. As you bring more computing power and processing to the edge, your overall approach must allow for rapid trial and error, as well as rigorous testing. What happens to your edge device if you also let it do X? Any change at the edge will impact your entire IT system.
- Automation is key: Installing software on three servers is manageable, but doing so on thousands of edge devices is a completely different story. This is why automation should be a key aspect of any edge strategy. For many companies, extensive automation is a necessary first step before expanding edge.
- Increased attack surface: Instead of being safely stored in a data center, edge devices are in the field, where they can all be hacked individually. Edge computing increases your attack surface, requiring businesses to come up with a plan as to how to keep their devices safe. AI-based solutions can help detect and isolate suspicious behavior but need to be leveraged intelligently.
- Data drives decisions: what additional data streams will you acquire? From basic data (is the device on?) to device health data (the temperature of the device) in addition to core telemetry. Collecting this data can help you become more proactive or offer a whole new range of services. However, when going down that path, don’t forget the demands it will place on your organization!
- Containers live on the edge too: Just like in your data center and in the cloud, containers help to manage and deploy workloads on the edge. Leveraging familiar tools can help empower your IT staff to manage and maintain your Edge computing infrastructure.
In the coming years, edge will continue to be an important topic, especially as AI at the edge becomes increasingly relevant. Are you wondering how you can capitalize on Machine Learning at the edge? Or how to bring the latest versions of software and AI to edge devices? With our extensive experience and knowledge of complex production processes, we are here to help.
Leverage the power of edge computing with Xebia | Xpirit
Our experts understand the complexities of distributed systems and are ready to make edge computing an active part of your IT environment. Not just as a device that collects data in the field but as a functional, innovative, and adequately protected element that adds value to your business. Start your journey with us and secure your company’s future in the digital landscape.
Let’s build on the innovations of today for a more successful tomorrow!
Discover all other insights and trends shaping the cloud landscape in 2023 and beyond.
- Cloud Trends Shaping 2023 Trend 1. Cloud Cost Optimization
- Cloud Trends Shaping 2023 Trend 2. Closing the Cloud Skills Gap
- Cloud Trends Shaping 2023 Trend 3. Containerization
- Cloud Trends Shaping 2023 Trend 4. Edge Computing
- Cloud Trends Shaping 2023 Trend 5. App Modernization
- Microsoft. (2022). Cloud Migration and Modernization: Trends for 2023. Global Research Report. https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/cloud-migration-and-modernization-trends-for-2023/
- McKinsey Digital. (2023). The FinOps way: How to avoid the pitfalls to realizing cloud’s value. https://www.mckinsey.com/capabilities/mckinsey-digital/our-insights/the-finops-way-how-to-avoid-the-pitfalls-to-realizing-clouds-value