Types of Agile Coaching
Agile Coaching is about guiding a person, team or organization towards more Agility.
Based upon the subject of coaching, there are 4 types of Agile Coaching
- Personal Coaching
- Team Coaching
- System Coaching
- Culture Coaching
Based upon the main focus a coach applies, 2 more types can be distinguished.
- Outcome Coaching
- Journey Coaching
Focus and subject are to be combined into 8 types of coaching.
In a successful Agile implementation all types of coaching add value
- Coaching of individuals towards a more Agile mindset.
- One on one conversations to obtain a mindshift and a new internal value system.
- Coaching of a Team towards more Agile behavior
- Sessions, exercises, training and interaction with the Team to establish more effective behavior.
- Coaching of the system towards more Agility in structure and processes.
- Advising and managing the organization to implement a new formal structure that supports leaner processes.
- Coaching a (large) group towards a different culture.
- Planned interventions, training programs, poster communication …
- To establish a different culture takes time ( 5+ years)
Whether you are coaching a Team, a person or an organization, you still have to choose whether you will strive for result or strive for growth.
You can try both at the same time, but that would just mean you’ve chosen to focus on result, but you’re denying that 🙂
- Coaching based on outcome. Regardless the process, team or individual, this type of coaching will focus on that the right outcome is realized.
- The outcome is thought to be more important than the way it is created.
- Coaching the now with a main focus on learning. Doing the right things will make sure the right things come out of the process.
- Growth is the primary asset. It might be inefficient for now, but effectivity will come out of it one day.
It’s useful to know yourself and your colleagues so you can complement each other.
Off course, there is a lot of overlap between these types. You can have skills of multiple coaching types. Probably one of the types however will fit best.
Which combination suits you most ?
Which type of coaching are you missing in your organization ?
Look at our consultancy services, training offers and careers below or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org