Building an Engineering Culture
When you are organized in silos with multiple handovers between teams, this effectively puts a brake on fixing IT issues and developing new application features. Everything becomes a slog and even the smallest fixes may require a budget that makes you gasp.
Finding the best solution to business challenges requires a team effort. Not just of your engineers, but of all domain experts together. This is why we advocate with organizations to develop an empowering operating model.
Do’s and Don’ts
An empowering operating model puts people first, by implementing processes and tools that empower teams to develop aligned autonomy while creating maximum value for its customers.
In such an organization, people are not ruled by processes and tools. Processes and tools serve people. And each of these people gets the task to focus all their energy on one value stream, end to end, in a multidisciplinary team, working from the principle of aligned autonomy. Effectively integrating a DevOps way of working within the organization as a whole.
- Let your engineers fix issues and develop new solutions in multidisciplinary value-stream-based teams
- Establish platform teams to support these multidisciplinary value stream teams
- Make sure any administrative duties in the organization are a breeze. Set your people free to do their best work and create value for your customers
- Trust teams of professionals to make their own decisions, together. They know their job. And if they make mistakes, they will be eager to learn
- Using AI-driven tools that help developers focus on features instead of reinventing the wheel for standard bits of code
eBook Build your unique engineering culture
A thriving engineering culture is vital for any company that wants to be a digital leader. However, it is not an off-the-shelf product you can buy. Building an engineering culture requires sustained effort, a willingness to learn, and a commitment to continuous improvement. And that’s where our eight pillars come in. Instead of rushing through them, use them to address (and resolve) the key bottlenecks in your organization one pillar at a time and create the foundation for long-term success.
Are you ready to turn your company’s unlimited curiosity and ambition into unlimited potential? Start building your unique engineering culture now!