This post provides some alternate standup questions to let your standup be: aimed forward, goal focused, team focused.
The questions are:
- What have I achieved since our last SUM?
- What is my goal for today?
- What things keep me from reaching my goal?
- What is our team goal for the end of our sprint day?
The daily stand up runs on a few standard questions. The traditional questions are:
- What did I accomplish yesterday?
- What will I be doing today?
- What obstacles are impeding my progress?
A couple of effects I see when using the above list are:
- A lot of emphasis is placed on past activities rather than getting the most out of the day at hand.
- Team members tell what they will be busy with, but not what they aim to complete.
- Impediments are not related to daily goals.
- There is no summary for the team relating to the sprint goal.
If you are experiencing the same issues you could try the alternate questions. They worked for me, but any feedback is appreciated of course. Are you using other questions? Let me know your experience. You could use the PDF below to print out the questions for your scrum board.