The Google Drive App in Chat has been around for quite some time. However, the functionality was limited to receiving notifications about activity in Drive, such as comments and share requests.
With the recently added update, Google Drive in Chat gets a more interactive character. From now on it is possible to:
- Reply to and resolve comments in Google Docs, Sheets and Slides directly from Chat
- Show more of the comment thread, so you can have more context while replying
- @mention your colleagues easily while replying to comments
This way, various actions such as Drive requests and Drive comments can be handled directly in Chat. In short, it’s easier to collaborate on Documents, Sheets and Presentations without having to leave Chat.
Not using the Drive App in Chat yet? Follow below steps to activate it for your work:
- Go to Google Chat or your Gmail account
- Next to ‘Chat’ click ‘Start a new chat’ -> Find apps
- For Chat in Gmail, click ‘New chat’ -> Find apps
- Search or browse for the Google Drive app
- Click Add
- Select Chat
The Google Drive App will be visible in Chat. More information about activation of notification can be found here.